11.26.2006

It could happen...

I love my boyfriend dearly. Among his many excellent qualities, is his ability to say "maybe" in more ways than I previously thought possible. He has no problem saying no, but an absolute yes is a rare occurrence at best, and so I am left to decipher probabilities from the varied flavors of maybe that he uses to indicate level of preference (or lack thereof).

Me: "Can we go out to dinner tonight?"
Him: "I'll think about it."

Me: "Would you do the dishes for me?"
Him: "It could happen."

Me: "Do you want to see a movie today?"
Him: "Mmmm."

"Mmmmm" has many meanings, which can sometimes be decrypted through pitch and timber. A low-pitched "mmm" means, "It is highly unlikely," or "I really would prefer not to." A medium pitched "mmmm" could mean, "Ooh, that sounds nice," or perhaps, "I could really care less one way or the other."

Recently I suggested that perhaps I should get a Magic 8 Ball custom made to display all the possible responses to my yes-no questions.

Will David take me out to dinner tonight?
"It could happen."

Will we go to the movies tomorrow?
"I'll think about it."

Will David help me vacuum the house?
"Mmmmm."

No comments: