2.13.2008

Shutterbuggy

I've become a bit of a photography nut over the last couple of months. David started it all by insisting we borrow his dad's Canon Rebel for our trip to Hawaii. Having never taken photos with anything but a point and shoot, I was intimidated. But once I got my first taste of a zoom lens, I was hooked.

I'm finding that photography is a really cool expressive art form. Photographs show others what I see when I look at the world, but they actually show me as well. I start to understand what data I take in with my eyes, and what I disregard, and this leads me to start to question others about the same thing. We all process information really differently, it turns out. Really good photos, like any other art form, illicit emotions from viewers, but those emotions and impressions can vary infinitely. Mostly, I'm just really enjoying the hell out of taking pictures and seeing how they come out.

When we got back, David got us a Nikon D300 for a wedding present. Overkill, to be sure, but this puppy takes some damn fine pictures. Below are a few of my favorites of the ones I've taken so far.

DSC_0381
Persephone

DSC_0302
Maxine

DSC_0805
Manhole cover on our street

DSC_0779
Backyard color

DSC_0686
Jack

DSC_0732
Winter sky and trees

DSC_0297
Cabbage flower

A complete, ongoing set of my favorite shots is here.

No comments: