12.23.2006

Birthday in Belize

Howdy folks,
I'm writing from a handy (and cheap) Internet cafe in San Pedro, Belize. We, and our luggage, got here safely yesterday, though not quite at the same time. The puddle jumper plane from Belize City to San Pedro was tiny, I couldn't decide whether to be exhilarated or terrified. Bit of each, I guess.

Our hotel is fairly modest, but there's a wharf, a hammock, and free rum punch. Can\'t ask much more than that. This trip is different from the one to Honduras; there we were isolated in our resort and our every need was pretty much covered. Here, we have to find restaurants and such, fend off charming Rastafarian beggars, and resist the temptations of street vendors. I found a souvenir store with some nice stuff on the cheap though, along with a yoga studio and this here Internet cafe. David is off diving at the moment, but should have his afternoons and evenings free. I think I'm going to take a snorkel tour, maybe tomorrow, and then settle in to some serious lounging.

San Pedro is a strange mix of upscale little establishments, overpriced tourist restaurants, and abject poverty. Everyone is friendly though, and nobody seems to be on a timetable. Letting go of the hectic pace of my last several months is a challenge for me, but I think I'm up to it. The water isn't as clear as Honduras from the shore, and there's more litter, so I think boat snorkeling is probably the plan.

I hope you all have an excellent Christmas, I'm sure, Internet junkie that I am, I'll be writing again soon. Feliz Navidad!

Michelann

No comments: