12.24.2006

More from Belize

So I had a pretty good birthday here in Belize. I shopped and blogged in the morning, then met David back at the hotel, had lunch and did some snorkeling. Visibility isn't so hot by the shore, so I'm going to sign up for a half day trip one of the mornings David is diving.

We took a water taxi to a place called (fittingly) Capricorn for dinner. It was really good, but I'd read that the water taxi ride at night was the best part. "Best part" is apparently a synonym for "Utterly Terrifying". I have never been on a boat that small, going that fast. Apparently, I was not cut out for piracy. The restaurant was good, though, though the prices here are not low. Two shots of tequila was not enough to dull the abject terror of the ride home, but I made it in one piece, dinner still intact.

It's very hot today, and I seem to have packed exactly the wrong clothes. In Honduras, I didn't do much walking, mostly lounging and swimming, so several swimsuits and wraps were plenty. Here, I have to walk a mile into town, and I have one pair of ratty cutoff jeans to do that in, so today I'm shopping for shorts that cost less than $50.

David forgot his hat at home, so I got him a nice one, but he was distressed by the fact that it has a pirate on it. Apparently the pirate skull and crossbones is the emblem for Belize tourist crap, it's very hard to avoid. So he will just have to suck it up and deal with the pirate.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas, I'll be posting again shortly thereafter.

Love,
M

No comments: